Saturday, February 11, 2012

Another weekend without much snow, time to focus on the next one late in the upcoming week

I have began the process of emotionally detaching myself from this 2012 winter. It is a necessary evil at this point and it is being done to preserve my mental health. We were hopeful that the current pattern which has most of the ingredients necessary to bring us away from these dark times has not come through. We got some bitterly cold weather which will persist through the weekend, we got a few inches of snow, but I had hoped for one of those 30-40 inch weeks. It never happened.

The polar vortex will gradually rotate out of southeastern Canada early in the upcoming week and temperatures will begin a slow moderation. For the first time this winter, we have legitimate split flow in the jet stream. This stems from energy in the jet stream undercutting the deteriorating ridge in western North America. We just can't get enough split flow and I want to say I am happy to see it, even for a little while, but remember I am not making the emotional investment. It's just not worth it. That being said, a significant weather producer will move from the Rockies into the Plains Wednesday. We will be running low on cold weather by then. Temperatures Tuesday and Wednesday might even sneak above freezing during the afternoon (although overnights should remain chilly). By Thursday clouds should arrive and precipitation should follow either later in the day or at night. What happens from there depends on a few different variables most important of which is the track of this storm. Right now the system appears as it it wants to make a run at the eastern Great Lakes but transition its energy to the coast. This would bring some decent snows to the region but lets just wait and set ourselves up for another big disappointment.

The storm's energy is significant energy enough to yank down some Canadian chill. Much of Canada will in fact be free of arctic air by next weekend meaning that temperatures will be seasonable but considerably warmer than the current weekend. This is the all important president's day holiday which should be free of any rain, free of any bitter cold, hopefully have at least some fresh snow from Thursday's system and perhaps some additional snow from any weak disturbance in the jet stream or some simple terrain enhancement.

The "classic" La Nina structure of the jet stream which is expected to take shape by next weekend will have the effect of re-positioning a lot of the action out west by the 20th of the month. I think next weekend into president's day is safe. Beyond that however all bets are off. Are we going to preserve enough of the high latitude blocking either across the North Atlantic or the Polar regions to thwart another big thaw ? Maybe. It's disconcerting but the only thing we can do at this point is to lower expectations and write off any rain event as a byproduct of a very bad winter.

6 comments:

Jahey said...

2012 Winter resolution....lower expectations.....ok....done...:):)

Benedict Gomez said...

Have you seen some of the model runs for next weekend, this would look like a possible blizzard, right?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/stormg.gif/

Eric said...

Just wanted to let you know that I love this Blog. I ski at Cannon Mountain in NH and you have got a following among the snow lovers there. Keep up the good work.

Kristen S. said...

I hear ya on emotionally detaching from 2011-2012. I feel for the folks in the Mad River Valley who have had to endure a lot of crap the last 6 months. I think another donation to the Mad River Valley Community Fund may be in order.

On a selfish note, my vacation time did not allow me to go skiing at all this winter, so I guess the bright spot is that if there ever was a winter to skip skiing in VT, it would be this one.

I'll be hoping those folks up there at least get a bit of decent weather for the end of the 2011-2012 winter, and a powder-filled 2012-2013!

Doug said...

A lot of skiers have already written off this winter. The club I belong to is going to take a loss this winter, as people haven't been coming up. I can't remember a winter where we just could not get any consistent cold like this one...remarkably there is still skiing in NJ + Poconos, but only due to extended snowmaking.

Pedro Santa Cruz said...

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฏ๐Ÿ‡ด๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐ŸŽด➙➙➙➙➙๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡ฐ๐Ÿ‡ฐ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡ฐ๐ŸŽดInvestment is one of the best ways to achieve financial freedom. For a beginner there are so many challenges you face. It's hard to know how to get started. Trading on the Cryptocurrency market has really been a life changer for me. I almost gave up on crypto at some point not until saw a recommendation on Elon musk successfully success story and I got a proficient trader/broker Mr Bernie Doran , he gave me all the information required to succeed in trading. I made more profit than I could ever imagine. I'm not here to converse much but to share my testimony; I have made total returns of $10,500.00 from an investment of just $1000.00 within 1 week. Thanks to Mr Bernie I'm really grateful,I have been able to make a great returns trading with his signals and strategies .I urge anyone interested in INVESTMENT to take bold step in investing in the Cryptocurrency Market, you can reach him on WhatsApp : +1(424) 285-0682 or his Gmail : BERNIEDORANSIGNALS@GMAIL.COM bitcoin is taking over the world, tell him I referred you๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ฏ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฐ๐Ÿ‡ผ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ